Preservation Month events in May
In recognition of National Preservation Month in May, the City of Georgetown Planning, Public Library, and Economic Development departments are partnering with building and business owners to celebrate historic buildings in Downtown Georgetown as part of the recurring Tuesday Talks series. Other Preservation Month events include an exhibit of historic building paintings at the Georgetown Public Library, a storytelling event at the Williamson Museum, and a tour at the historic IOOF cemetery.
Preservation Month is an annual month-long recognition each May of historic places and people sponsored by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Links to the meetings as well as recordings for later viewing will be online at historic.georgetown.org. Facebook Live events will be streamed at facebook.com/CityofGeorgetown.
Preservation Month events in Georgetown:
- May, all month—Rachel Hancock: Art with Heart exhibit: watercolors of historic Georgetown buildings, Georgetown Public Library first floor Café Gallery, 402 W. Eighth St., Monday-Friday 9-6, Saturday 9-5, through June 13. Prints are available; profits will be donated to the Georgetown Main Street Facade & Sign Reimbursement Grant Program.
- May 4— Tuesday Talks & Building Birthday Party for Williamson County Courthouse and Williamson Museum, Facebook Live at noon
- May 11—Tuesday Talks & Building Birthday Party for the Old Post Office, Facebook Live at 12:00 p.m.
- May 15—Marking History with live costumed storytellers, Williamson Museum, 716 S. Austin Ave., 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- May 18—Tuesday Talks & Building Birthday Party for the Mileham Building and 213 W. Eighth St., Facebook Live at noon
- May 22—We Built This City Cemetery Tour, IOOF Cemetery, 1117 E. 7th St., Williamson Museum, 4-6 p.m.
- May 25— Tuesday Talks & Building Birthday Party for the M.B. Lockett and P.H. Dimmitt buildings, Facebook Live at noon
- June 3—Main Street Breakfast Bites, Hidden Stories of Historic Georgetown, in-person at the Friends Room, Georgetown Public Library, 402 W. Eighth St., or virtually through Zoom (link available through registration), at 8:30 a.m.
For more information about Preservation Month events, call (512) 930-3581, email email@example.com or visit historic.georgetown.org. Find out more about the National Trust for Historic Preservation at savingplaces.org.