Watch school zones as classes start on Aug. 16
The first day of classes for schools in the Georgetown school district is Thursday, Aug. 16. The Georgetown Police Department reminds drivers to slow down in school zones. As students go back to school, police will be monitoring school zones throughout the city.
Look for the school zones at most of these Georgetown ISD schools:
• Carver Elementary, 4901 Scenic Lake Drive
• Cooper Elementary, 1921 NE Inner Loop
• Ford Elementary, 210 Woodlake Drive
• Frost Elementary, 711 Lakeway Drive
• McCoy Elementary, 401 Bellaire Drive
• Mitchell Elementary, 1601 Rockride Lane
• Pickett Elementary, 1100 Thousand Oaks Blvd.
• Purl Elementary, 1953 Maple St.
• Village Elementary, 400 Village Commons
• Benold Middle School, 3407 Northwest Blvd.
• Forbes Middle School, 1911 NE Inner Loop
• Tippit Middle School, 1601 Leander Road
• Wagner Middle School, 1621 Rockride Lane
• East View High School, 4490 E. University Ave.
• Georgetown High School, 2211 N. Austin Ave.
• Georgetown Alternative Program, 502 Patriot Way
• Richarte High School, 2295 N. Austin Ave.
• Williamson County Academy/Lott Juvenile Detention Center, 200 Wilco Way
School zone speed limits are in effect during the posted hours or when yellow lights are flashing. The fine for speeding in a school zone is $10 per mile over the limit, plus state court costs. This would mean a $100 fine plus $129 in state court costs for driving 30 mph in a 20 mph zone, for example.
State law prohibits the use of a wireless communication device in a school zone during the posted hours or when yellow lights are flashing.