Founders Park Open House July 28
An open house meeting to review proposed improvements for Founders Park will be held on Thursday, July 28 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. The meeting is at Founders Park, at the northwest corner of the intersection of S. Church Street and Ninth Street. The park is behind Grace Heritage Center, 811 S. Main Street.
At the open house style meeting, proposed design options will show potential elements and enhancements, including improved and relocated interpretive signage, a bike rack, sculpture pads, and public seating. Staff will be on hand to discuss the park’s history, as well as answer any questions attendees may have. Public input is invited and encouraged.
The proposed design was developed based on input from the first Founders Park open house held on May 4, as well as an online survey completed in June. The results from both the first open house and survey are available online.
Renovation work on Founders Park is expected to begin later this year. Improvements include tree plantings, a water fountain, and improved sidewalks.
Founders Park is the site where Williamson County’s first commissioners met under an oak tree in 1848 to choose a location for the county seat. George Washington Glasscock offered to donate the land he owned jointly with his business partner Thomas B. Huling. The land was bounded by the oak tree at one corner and the San Gabriel River to the north and west. The oak tree was felled by a storm in 1886, but the park remains an important reminder of Georgetown’s history.