Call to Artists: Mural Project in Downtown Georgetown
The City of Georgetown Arts and Culture Board is issuing a call for artist proposals for a mural to be located on the rear wall of 711 S. Main Street, Georgetown, TX.
• The goal of the mural is to provide a piece of public art of interest to residents and visitors to the downtown of Georgetown.
• The mural will be approximately 23 X 15 ft. (please see photos of site below).
• The exterior wall is stucco.
• The mural should include the metal gutters, air conditioning unit, door, pipes, vent, and meters.
• The address “711” is required to be on the door. The mural can incorporate the number 711 on the door or should leave space to accommodate the address.
• The owner is open to ideas from the artist, but prefers bright colors and a mural with a narrative. The owner does not want a mural consisting of just geometrical shapes.
• The wall contains two windows. The owner is open to proposals incorporating the windows or covering the windows in some fashion.
• Special note: The building is the oldest building on the historic downtown square. However, the owner isn’t requiring the mural refer to the history of the building or Georgetown in particular.
• There is no application fee.
5:00 P.M. Friday, April 24, 2015
E-mail proposals to:
Artist will receive $3,000 stipend.
50% of the stipend will be paid within two weeks of a signed letter of agreement. 50% of the stipend will be paid upon completion of the mural.
Artist will receive up to $500.00 in material reimbursements (with receipts and subject to a signed letter of agreement). Artists will be asked to include a budget in proposal. Additional funds may be approved by the Arts and Culture Board if appropriate.
All work must be completed prior to Saturday, August 1, 2015.
WHAT TO SEND:
Please structure and label the proposal sections using the headings:
Part 1: The Written Proposal
Illustrations of Proposed Work
Proposals must contain between 1 and 5 sketches or digital illustrations of the proposed mural.
Detailed project Description (1 page maximum, 12 pt. font)
Please include the following descriptions:
• A literal description of the mural.
• A description of the concepts in the proposed mural.
• How will this work contribute to a visitor’s experience of downtown Georgetown?
• List maintenance the mural will require, if any.
• An artist statement describing mural experience and interest in the project.
Material reimbursement is available up to $500.00. The materials budget may be increased depending on justification and approval of the Arts and Culture Board. Please submit a detailed materials budget.
Part 2: Support Materials/Previous Work
• Proposals should be accompanied by 5 to 10 images of previous work. Files should be submitted in a .pdf format and will be acknowledged upon receipt.
• Resume – Maximum 2 pages per artist.
Artist shall be responsible for preparation of the surface to ensure strong adhesion for durability and longevity. This may include a primer and other preparation necessary for the optimum bond of the paint to the wall.
Two applications (two coats) of Anti-Graffiti/ultraviolet protective coating must be applied on the surface and top of the finished art that will provide resistance to vandalism and the weather. Please include the cost of the protective coating in the budget. The mural must be approved by Eric Lashley, Library Director, before this protective coating is applied.
The artist will be selected by members of the Georgetown Arts and Culture Board and the owner of 711 S. Main St., Georgetown, TX 78626. The Board and owner will select a proposal they feel fits the building and will provide a piece of public art of interest to residents and visitors to downtown Georgetown.
Submissions must be received by 5:00 P.M. on Friday, April 24, 2015.
Send electronic submissions to Lawren Weiss at Lawren.email@example.com.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Eric P. Lashley at 512-930-3551 or firstname.lastname@example.org.