The City of Georgetown’s Bag-the-Bag program, which allows residents to recycle film plastics such as plastic grocery bags and other pliable plastic wrappers, has been expanded to include more yellow collection bag pick up locations.
Georgetown solid waste customers can pick up two yellow bags each month from any of these five locations throughout the City:
- Georgetown Municipal Complex, 300-1 Industrial Ave.
- Georgetown Public Library, 402 W. Eighth St.
- Georgetown Recreation Center, 1003 N. Austin Ave.
- Sun City Social Center monitors desk, 2 Texas Drive
- Transfer Station, 250 W.L. Walden Road
The yellow bags are specially designed to compact when compressed in the back of the collection trucks. Other bags may “pop” when compressed releasing their contents into the back of the collection truck. Additionally, the bright yellow color makes the bag easy to spot, and sort, on the sorting the line at the material recovery facility.
Items that can be recycled through the program include:
- All types of clear or opaque common film plastics
- Single-use and reusable plastic bags with handles
- Dry cleaning bags
- Newspaper bags
- Meat and produce bags (free of food residue)
- Bread bags
- To-go food bags
- Ziploc-type bags
- Plastic wrap and cellophane products
- Six-pack rings
- All types of plastic wrap encasing products such as paper towel rolls, toilet papers, napkins, and paper plates
Once the yellow bag is full, tie it shut and place it in the recycling bin.
Find out more at recycle.georgetown.org/single-stream-recycling.