Founders Park Open House on May 4
An open house meeting on proposed improvements for Founders Park will be held from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 4. The meeting is at Founders Park, at the northwest corner of the intersection of S. Church Street and Ninth Street. The park is behind Grace Heritage Center, 811 S. Main Street.
At the open house meeting, proposed design options will show potential elements and enhancements, including possible play elements, sculpture pads, public seating, and retaining wall treatments. Staff will be on hand to discuss the park’s history, as well as answer any questions attendees may have. Public input is invited and encouraged. Additionally, an online survey will be available to collect input on design options. A second public meeting will be scheduled in the summer to present the final design developed based on the public’s feedback.
Renovation work on Founders Park is expected to begin in late 2016. Additional improvements include tree plantings, a water fountain, and improved sidewalks.
Founders Park is the site where Williamson County’s first commissioners met under an oak tree in 1848 to choose a location for the county seat. George Washington Glasscock offered to donate the land he owned jointly with his business partner Thomas B. Huling. The land was bounded by the oak tree at one corner and the San Gabriel River to the north and west. The oak tree was felled by a storm in 1886, but the park remains an important reminder of Georgetown’s history.